We are so excited to launch the Spring/Summer 2021 Collection featuring three new fragrances:
- Juicy Blood Orange And Lime - this scent is JUICY. BOOZY. ENTICING. SWEET. I dare you not to fall in love with this fragrance. This is one is the most powerful scent in the Spring/Summer Collection. It fills our 2000 sq ft home in the best possible way.
- Lemon Zest and Coconut Sugar - this scent is SUGARY. COCONUT-Y. SMOOTH. Imagine a sophisticated creamsicle made with lemon instead of orange and that's what you've got. This is one of the lighter fragrances in our whole fragrance library. If you're 'scent-sitive' this one might be a good fit if you're looking for something more subtle.
- First Day of Spring - this scent is FRESH. INVIGORATING. SPICY. WARM. Guaranteed to yank you right out of that seasonal funk. Light on the first day of sundress season while listening to Cardi B's "Up."
We have new vessels. The tins are a great affordable option for sampling, sets, and they make incredible candle wedding/party favors, but we wanted something more aesthetically pleasing. And, because of the nature of our workspace, we needed vessels with lids. Oh, and we wanted something BIGGER for longer burn times and fewer purchases.
These new minimalist ceramic candle jars with wooden lids are designed to blend into your existing decor while adding an incredible fragrance to your home. The new candle jars are reusable - when you're done burning your candle, clean out the jar and use it as a stash jar for snacks, dried goods, or...something else 😉
Did we mention that the new jars hold 20% more wax?
What we're working on
We're working on a refill program to help you buy once and burn forever. The expected launch date is June 1, after everyone is hopefully vaccinated. We're imagining it working like this -
- Local pickup/drop-off only (shipping is cost prohibitive at this time)
- Drop-off date will be the first Friday of each month. You'll drop off your used, fully cleaned vessel
- We fill it with your preferred fragrance and allow the candle to cure for a week.
- You pick it up at your convenience.
An Update on Pricing + More Information Than You Asked For
We've always wanted to make candles an affordable luxury. We do this by staying direct-to-consumer. We see the $70+ candles out there and we just don't get it, tbh. Our candles are made with what we think is:
- The best wax. Coco apricot crème is a luxurious vegan blend of natural apricot and coconut, and a minuscule amount of highly refined food-grade paraffin wax. It burns slowly ~7-9 hours per ounce and has an excellent fragrance throw (both warm and cold), allowing us to add more fragrance to the mix, resulting in a more fragrant candle. It's the most expensive wax available and we're happy to use it because it is truly the best we've tested. And we tested a LOT of waxes.
- Sophisticated fragrances that are phthalate free, paraben free, cruelty free, and, whenever possible, all-natural. We're picky when it comes to fragrances. If you could see the boxes full of samples that didn't make the cut...
- Strong (but not overpowering) scents. Our candles have been burn tested in a 2000 square foot home and designed to fill a room (and beyond) without being overpowering. Some fill our entire house. We use a high fragrance load so you get more fragrance out of an individual candle.
- Sustainable wooden wicks that are sourced from FSC certified mills and manufactured in the USA. Our Wooden Wicks are a sustainable, natural, and eco-friendly wicking option. They also sound super cozy when lit. This is the only wick we ever want to work with. Period.
- Aesthetically pleasing containers. The travel tins were just okay, let's be honest. They were the best we could do in the beginning as a self-funded one-woman operation. Due to COVID, there is a shortage of glass and ceramic vessels, so sourcing new jars was an adventure. The new jars we've landed on are truly beautiful, but they cost 502% more than tins and require an extra labor-intensive step in the candle-making process. They're heavier, which adds to the cost of shipping, as well. We offer free shipping on all orders because we think it's important to make gifting candles easy, but - fully transparency - shipping is SO expensive - shipping a package is a minimum of $8 even if it stays local to Kansas City 😬
What does it all mean?
We're obsessed with the finished product. Truly proud and excited to make it available. We think that this candle is well worth the money because of the quality of ingredients, the crafts-lady-ship that goes into it, and the value of the fragrance throw and burn time.
And, we're doing everything we can to bring down the cost of goods while growing safely and responsibly. We want to eventually hire people and pay them a fair living wage and offer health benefits, paid time off, and other - you know - basic human rights.
Thank you so much for shopping small. It truly means the world to us when we get that order confirmation email.